In the past year I’ve started loving rings but I have been driving myself crazy leaving them everywhere. I realized what I needed was an easy solution that also happened to be a perfect first DIY. So here goes!
- Fimo clay ( I got white, black, orange, aqua, and pink!)
- Gold liquid gilding
- Small paint brush
- Butter knife
- Rolling pin ( or any round object like the spray paint can I used)
- Small oven safe bowls or something to help the molds hold shape in the oven ( I used the rim of a mason jar lid)
Steps to creating marble ring dishes:
- Cut small sections of the different colors of clay. I found that varying the size of the cuts helps.
- Roll each section of the clay until rolled into long log like sections
- Then twist all the sections together, so it forms a braid like section
- Roll this into a ball. Make sure that you can see all the colors on the outside of the bowl
- Then use your rolling pin (or whatever object you found!) to roll the section out flat
- Then use a round object to help you to cut out a perfect circle using the butter knife
- Place the clay circle into whatever you picked to help the dish hold shape
- Then place the dishes in the oven for the time specified on your clay packaged (I cooked mine at 230 degrees for thirty minutes)
- Once the dishes have cooled down completely, then use the gilding to paint the edge of the dishes gold
This project was super easy and I was pleased with the initial outcome but there were definitely things I would have done differently in retrospect. Next time I want to try different colors. Maybe some neon yellow and grey instead of black. I would also try to make sure the log like sections that I rolled in step two varied more in size. Hope that helps yours come out even better. Good luck on your DIY-ing!